Sunday, November 21, 2010

I LOVE Vibram Five Fingers

I tried up until about mid October running barefoot. I was only averaging a couple of miles per week but able to successfully run without any shoes. It was great not having back and knee pain that plagued me when I was wearing regular running shoes. I bought a pair of  Vibram Five Fingers KSO's. I had read that runners who were use to wearing standard shoes should use caution when transitioning to these as it may be hard for your body to adjust to the bio mechanical changes of wearing the VFF's. So at this point I had worn them on a couple of runs and out to the store, etc.

A couple weeks before Halloween, I went for my first barefoot run in the cold rain. When I got home from that run I noticed that I had some pretty large, painful blisters on the bottom of both of my feet. No biggie, a blister is a blister, it will go away. Yea, right! These were the blisters from the black lagoon. I ended up having an infected right foot and being on antibiotics for two months. So that officially stopped my barefoot running endeavor for good.

Since then I have been enjoying running, walking, etc. in my Vibram Five Fingers KSO's.

This shoe has many awesome features. It is light and flexible, not nearly as boxy and heavy as traditional running shoes. I like the mesh top that helps keep things such as little pesky rocks out of the shoe. The individual toe pockets are amazingly comfortable. They also help provide additional stability when running. These shoes are also quite the conversation piece, everywhere I go people make comments about them. It is an awesome opportunity for me to talk about the benefits of minimalist running.

These awesome shoes retail for $85 and can be ordered directly from the Vibram Five Fingers website. For more info on the VFF's check out this website:http://birthdayshoes.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment