Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Not so wordless Wednesday

This week has been awesome. I have been starting to really focus on my workouts in preparation for my first official race of 2013 this Sunday! The race is Dirty Love 10K. It is a part of The Dirty Trail Race Series. I am super excited for this fun swag a commemorative mug and the best part running on trails.

I fell in love with trail running two summers ago. It is just so peaceful and scenic. It also brings me back to the days of running cross country in high school and college.

Earlier this week I came to a realization about this. What will the trails be like with this crazy Ohio snow? Will my Vibram Five Finger Bikila's cut it in the snow??? For those that are new to the blog, I am a huge advocate of minimalist shoes. The thing with this type of shoe is they don't work for everyone. What I've learned from my issues (back injuries, sore knees) is that you have to listen to your body and do what's best for you. Well these shoes have been best for me! No more knee issues, no more back aches. LOVE! My Bikilas have taken quite a beating and have started leaking a little bit. So time for mama to get some new shoes. Yahoo!

I did some Facebook messaging with Second Sole of Mentor. They suggested the Vibram FiveFingers Women's Lontra would be best for me for this race. They are waterproof and have extra traction so I don't fall on my butt!Thankfully the folks at Second Sole were able to get these beauties ordered for me and they are suppose to be in on Friday. Cross your fingers! I need these so I don't get hypothermia or fall ! Just being dramatic about the hypothermia part. But seriously no one likes cold toes!

Photo: Vibram FiveFingers

So its been a while since I have done any cold weather racing. I am going to wear my new shoes, running tights, tank with built in sports bra, tee shirt and a hat. I am debating on the hat. I am a runner that tends to get really hot really easily. I think I am going to scope out the ear band options at Second Sole when I pick my new kicks up on Friday.

What do you wear when you run/workout outside when its cold?

No comments:

Post a Comment