Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Wednesday Wisdom & how to run for charity






Happy hump day friends! Isn't my picture funny?! So very true for me though. How is your week going?

Mine is great. Yesterday I ran 3.5 miles.

We won't talk time yet. However I will say my mile times are starting to get much closer to my goal of 10 minute miles! WAHOO!

Another important part of this run is that I used my Charity Miles iPhone App and ran those miles to help the wonderful charity Autism Speaks. Charity Miles is a FREE app available in the iTunes store. How it works is that you download the app, choose a charity and press start. You can either walk, run or bike to help any charity that the app supports. The list of supported charities include: (I included links to some of my favorite charities webpages below).
Autism Speaks
Ironman Foundation
Wounded Warrior Project
Michael J. Fox Foundation
Stand Up To Cancer
RED to benefit the Global Fund
World Food Programme
The Nature Conservancy
ASPCA
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Partnership for a Healthier America
Pencils of Promise
Shot @ Life
Every Mother Counts
Achilles International
 DO Something.org

Runners and walkers earn .25 per mile and bikers earn .10 per mile. Those monies go directly to the charity.
Beginning this week through the end of April I will be running for Autism Speaks as April is Autism Awareness month. I have some friends and some online friends who have children on the Autism spectrum. I hear and read about their different struggles often and it breaks my heart for these families. I also get excited for them for the small victories that pop up every day. Kudos to those mom and dads for all they do for their children.

In addition to that, in April I am selling Stella & Dot products to benefit the HollyRod Foundation. Stella & Dot will donate 20% of the retail sales from our Autism Awareness Collection to the HollyRod Foundation. Check out the products on my e-boutique.

Speaking of running for a cause, this weekend is the Sandy Hook benefit run. Saturday I will be participating in the run virtually in conjunction with the trail race I am running as I don't live near that area. Registration is formally closed online. However, you can still do a run yourself to honor the memory of the victims and make a donation online to the Sandy Hook School Support Fund.

My race on Saturday is five miles. I have been working really hard to prepare for this. I'm getting excited!

Have you used the Charity Miles app? Do you have any races scheduled for the weekend?



No comments:

Post a Comment