Friday, December 17, 2010

The importance of Road ID's and why I will be getting one


I have been out of the loop on all things running for several years now. Last time I was running consistently the most exciting gear was the iPod. Fast forward to 2010. I am amazed at all the cool gear that is available.

One item I have just come across thanks to Dimity McDowell and Sarah Bowen Shea authors of Run Like A Mother is Road ID. They listed this in their book as a must have for every run on their "Need it or leave it? An Accessory Cheat Sheet" Guide.

Road ID company was founded in 1999 by Mike and Edward Wimmer. According to the Road ID company website, Mike (the father) was concerned about Edward (his son) being safe on the roads while training for his first marathon. Mike suggested to Edward that he should carry some type of ID with him in the event there is an accident while he is training. Edward kind of laughs his father's idea off and one Saturday during a training run gets run off the road by a pick up truck. Laying in the ditch he came to realize that his dad's idea had some merit.

Edward talks more about the incident on the Road ID website, "Luckily I was OK. But, what if the truck had hit me? I would have been rushed to the local hospital as “John Doe.” Without proper ID, family members and friends could NOT be contacted. Likewise, my Medical records could NOT be accessed at the hospital. How long would I lay there unidentified? This freaked me out.

A few months later, from my father’s damp basement, he and I launched Road ID. To us, Road ID has always been far more than a business. We are on a mission to save lives."

If you aren't sure about the importance of having an Road ID, check out the testimonial section of their website. Some of the stories are mind boggling and really made me understand how much this product makes sense for athletes to purchase.



You can get an ID for your ankle, wrist or even to tie onto your shoe! How cool is that?! I will be getting one of the Wrist ID Elite's with any Christmas money Santa brings me.

Please check out their website: roadid.com and look for them on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment